How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Dec 10 16:38:05 UTC 2017

Colin Law schreef op 10-12-2017 17:11:

> I understand the original question now, the solution to MS's garbage
> (though that might just be my view) system is tell Ubuntu to do the
> same, using timedatectl as suggested by Xen. I gather there are windows
> registry mods one can do to change the way Windows does it, though
> there is debate about the reliability of that.

Well personally I think the issue is whether you will use relative or
absolute coordination.

We humans like to think we are the centre of the universe and that
Greenwhich is that.

And then we try to use absolute coordinates.

I think if we ever became part of a space-faring society we'd realize
that relative referencing is a lot more stable ;-).

(Or if we understood Einstein better :p).

IPv4 NAT is a form of relative, IPv6 without NAT is a form of absolute.

If you use relative referencing your system can easily be integrated
into a bigger system, if you use absolute, it can't, but needs
translations at ever border.

Not only does it need translations at every border, you also now need
multiple addressing systems at the same time, or absolute at border
addresses.

It's a bit like using relative symlinks versus absolute ones.

Absolute ones break immediately and require chroots to keep functioning.

The "chroot" is equivalent to the "@border" address.

So the Linux people say: use UTC with timezone.

What if you don't know your timezone?