How to coordinate the clock when dual-booting with Windows

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 15:52:53 UTC 2017

On 10 December 2017 at 15:45, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 December 2017 at 10:42, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The clock is not normally an issue when dual booting.
>
> It bally well is for me!
>
> E.g. if it's set to local time, both OSes move the system clock
> forward or backwards when daylight savings times begins or ends,
> resulting in a 2h discrepancy.
>
> My solution: minimize use of Windows. I boot it a couple of times a
> year, if that, normally.

Interesting, I have never seen that. I assumed the system clock was in UTC,
and so would not change with DST.  You may be right about that though, I
have no evidence either way. However I would have thought it would re-sync
the next time ntpdate or whatever it is that does the auto timesync ran.

Colin