How to recover with a full backup?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:08:46 UTC 2017

On 9 December 2017 at 14:26, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm making preparations for the case when I can no longer boot my machine, and I'm not able to recover with the GRUB recovery mode.
>
> I have a full backup, which includes the system as well as personal data.
>
> When I can't recover, I would install the system anew, from the Kubuntu installation ISO. Then I would unpack my backup, in some directory /backup. Now, how to get a running system again, from that? Could I just replace the top level directories with ones from the backup? Such as:

You can use clonezilla running from a bootable image to make a
compressed full disc image. Then to recover you can use clonezilla
again to restore to the same disc or another disc of the same size or
larger.

In addition as Chris suggested you should make regular backups of
important data, and occasionally move one of those offsite.

Colin