Keylogger

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 3 23:51:27 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:21:41AM +0100, Xen wrote:
> I was installing Debian the other day on some system. The "secure erase"
> option probably used shred in its default state.

No, that's not so; it uses
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/partman-crypto.git/tree/blockdev-wipe/blockdev-wipe.c,
called from
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/partman-crypto.git/tree/lib/crypto-base.sh#n284.
It's basically just intended to be dd except with a progress indicator
that can be hooked into the Debian installer's frontend.  There's no
intent here to do a particularly paranoid shred operation.

Somebody had a go at speeding it up a few years ago
(https://bugs.debian.org/722898, included in jessie and later releases).
If it's still significantly slower than dd even after that, then I think
it's worth somebody's time to do a bit of experimentation to investigate
why that's the case, as it's probably just a bug somewhere.