secondary screen only works until login

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue Aug 29 21:28:10 UTC 2017

Colin Law schreef op 29-08-2017 22:09:
> On 29 August 2017 at 20:53, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>> Dave Stevens schreef op 29-08-2017 20:57:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using 16.04 on a Toshiba laptop. I want to use a secondary
>>> display,
>>> a Samsung SyncMaster 712n. I have it connected to the Toshiba's
>>> external VGA port. The display powered up and showed system activity
>>> right up until the automatic user login took place. I had the system
>>> configured to log me in without asking for a password. When the login
>>> took place the secondary display went blank. The system control panel
>>> shows an unknown secondary display.
>>>
>>> In an attempt to see where the problem lies I made a new (second)
>>> user
>>> with a password and required a credential check at login. When I log
>>> in
>>> as the new user the secondary screen mirrors the main laptop screen
>>> and
>>> continues to work until I logout then log back in as the previous
>>> (admin) user, then it blanks.
>>>
>>> I suppose if I knew more about the graphic setup this would tell me
>>> where to look for more info but I don't.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a suggestion about where to look?
>>

>> Yes always just look at xrandr I guess.
>>
>> xrandr is a tool you can use to make those changes.
>
> Note that for a second user the second display works correctly, so it
> should not be necessary to do anything with xrandr, he needs to find
> out what has got messed up for the original user.

Oh I hadn't actually read it so well.

It's just that if I can use a hammer to fix something or solder a 1000
wires, I will choose to use the hammer :p.

Bam bam it works :p.

LOL.

You know infinite software has infinite problems.

There is this story about the egg of columbus.

Sailors were trying to get an egg to rest on its stump side.

When Columbus looked at it for a while he approached and smacked the egg
slightly into the table at which point it of course rested in its stump
side quite easily.

There is another story about someone using a sword to cut a knot that
some sailors were trying to untie.

I prefer to have a fast solution over a perfect one...

Cause the perfect ones soften require endless research and debugging
and...

For this solution, no knowledge is required ;-).

But in KDE there is a file somewhere called kscreenrc or something, if
you deleted that it would reset. I don't know for Unity...

--
Highly Evolved Beings do not consider it “profitable” if they benefit at
the expense of another.