enigmail 1.9.8 in Ubuntu 16.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Aug 28 11:55:18 UTC 2017

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 13:23:19 +0200, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
>On 28.08.2017 11:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> This would become a long answer, especial since it's unclear if you
>> even understand what the LTS release is.
>
>Sure I understand what the LTS release is.
>However, packages like Thunderbird are upgraded to new versions on a
>regular basis in LTS (16.04 was initially shipped with Thunderbird 38).
>The upgrade to Thunderbird 52 broke PGP support due to incompatibility
>issues with enigmail 1.9.7. So I'd expect packaged versions of add-ons
>in LTS to be upgraded to newer (compatible) versions as well.

hi,

Thunderbird is in the main repository and receives upgrades for
security reasons. Enigmail is from the universe repository.

However, you could install it from

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/

Be careful! Downloading software wanted for privacy reasons, without
verifying the downloaded software against a signed checksum is very
risky. I didn't call it "risky or dangerous", but "idiotic and
ridiculous" because it should be self-explaining that doing it isn't
very smart. Maybe I'm just not aware that Mozilla software
automatically verifies against a key! OTOH perhaps you anyway downloaded
and installed your Ubuntu already in the first place without verifying
the Ubuntu ISO against a signed checksum. If the OS already wasn't
verified, than every step to increase privacy and security is absurd.

I'm not really a fan of https://tails.boum.org/ , but the advantage of
this distro is, that inexperienced people who want privacy and/or
security can't make that many mistakes anymore.

To get the and verify the current release (3.1):

cd ~/Downloads/
wget https://tails.{c3l.lu/tails/stable/tails-amd64-3.1/tails-amd64-3.1.iso,boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-3.1.iso.sig}
gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.uni-mainz.de --recv-keys 79192EE220449071F589AC00AF292B44A0EDAA41
gpg --keyid-format 0xlong --verify tails-amd64-3.1.iso.sig tails-amd64-3.1.iso

The next one (3.2) will be released in a few days on 2017-09-03.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)

Regards,
Ralf