Wayland - Was: Startup Applications not working in 16.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 20 14:17:30 UTC 2017

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:49:52 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>On 20 August 2017 at 14:30, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> what happens if I make a release update from 16.04 to the next LTS? I
>> need xorg.conf. FWIW I installed from the Ubuntu server image, just
>> using the openbox WM, no DE at all.
>
>I believe you will be abe to select which you want from the logon
>screen. At least that is how it is in 17.04

Thank you.

When using Wayland, is there a replacement for xrandr? What happens when
using Wayland and a dualhead setup with a LCD and a CRT require
different settings for different usages? Is it possible to scale and
rotate (actually I don't use a rotate option and not necessarily need
the scale option for the LCD I'm using at the moment, since this LCD has
aspect ratio options, not all LCDs have got)? Is it possible to have
mode lines to optimise vertical refresh rates for CRTs?

AFAIK nothing could replace something simple as

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "keyboard"
       MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
       Option "XkbLayout" "de"
       #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

The above keyboard settings done by the display manager or a desktop
environment aren't that universally usable, if you tend to customize
your environment from time to time, by replacing "things", such as the
display manager.

Regards,
Ralf