UFW help on configuration

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 23:52:47 UTC 2017

On 08/14/2017 05:00 PM, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Jay,
>
> This page may help:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW
>
> It seems the UFW syntax does not directly support ICMP protocol. The
> above page shows how to deal with ICMP PING traffic, which I think you
> could adapt for your purposes.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
>
> On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 16:21 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> Good Afternoon,
>>
>> I have used UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall) for a number of years and
>> it
>> has performed very well, for the most part just the default
>> configuration is what I have been using.
>>
>> Now I need to add a three of rules and I do not know how to
>> translate
>> them from iptable notation to UFW notation. The rules folow (in
>> iptable
>> format):
>>
>> 1. ipchains -A input -p icmp --icmp-type address-mask-requests -j
>> DROP
>> 2. ipchains -A input -p icmp --icmp-tyoe timestamp-request -j DROP
>> 3. ipchains -A output -p icmp --icmp-type timestamp-reply - j DROP
>>
>> I am not at all sure how to translate these into UFW notation. Help,
>> please.
Thanks Tony,

If I understand things correctly adding the following rules should work:

-A ufw-before-input -p icmp --icmp-tyoe timestamp-request -j DROP
-A ufw-before-input -p icmp --icmp-type address-mask-requests -j DROP

Correct?

However, this still leaves #3 above to be handled. I find nothing in the
examples that would handle an output rule

Cheers,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley