Concerned about future 32 bit server support

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Tue Aug 8 22:08:35 UTC 2017

On Tue,  8 Aug 2017 17:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 8 Aug 2017 13:18:20 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue,  8 Aug 2017 16:06:36 -0400 (EDT)
> > Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > At Tue, 8 Aug 2017 18:48:33 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> > > not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

> > > Just as another datapoint: RedHat has dropped 32-bit support
> > > starting with RHel 7. But the CentOS team is building 32-bit
> > > kernels and has a distro for i686 AND arm based on RHel 7, I
> > > believe mostly done by people who have a specific need for such
> > > systems. I expect that eventually all of the major distros will
> > > stop distributing *binaries* for 32-bit x86 eventually, just as
> > > they have stopped distributing 68K, Alpha, ppc/ppc-64, etc. I
> > > believe non-PAE 32-bit kernels are no longer available stock, as
> > > well is <i686 kernels -- is anyone still running 80386's? '486s
> > > or '586s? Even though I believe current kernels still have
> > > support for these processors, if one were willing to [cross?]
> > > build them.
> > > >

> > well, I ran across a dual cpu 486 system last year running controls
> > for a commercial greenhouse setup (42 greenhouses) Tyan
> > motherboard. Still working, I just vacuumed it out and turned it
> > back on. MS-DOS
>
> Generally pure silicon will last almost forever. Hard drives get old
> and die, PS get old and die, fans get old and die, but a uProcessor
> is forever... OTOH, it does get harder and harder to get old-style
> interface replacement hard drives (can you still get IDE [PATA] hard
> drives? 8-bit wide SCSI? AT Power supplies? ISA interface boards?).
> At some point it might make sense to replace the old gear.
>
> I wonder: would a $40 Raspberry Pi Model 3B run those 42 greenhouses
> as well (better?) than the dual cpu 486 system? :-)

not sure, will it run DOS?

In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are
not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to
simplistic questions.

----- Ursula Le Guin