(OT) Google: "Somebody knows your password"

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Aug 6 05:24:13 UTC 2017

On Sunday 06 August 2017 00:06:21 Duane Whitty wrote:

> On 17-08-05 12:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> I use their paid service, G Suite for Business (around $4 CAD per
> >> month on a yearly commitment or $5 CAD monthly no commitment, no
> >> idea on $Euros) and I have found their service to be excellent.
> >> Highly worth the upgrade over a free gmail account in my opinion.
> >> Makes getting support very easy.  Sure, you also need to register a
> >> domain name.
> >
> > Which means a fixed address.
>
> Nope, don't need a fixed address to register and use a domain name for
> Google G Suite for Business email.  All you need to do is enter the IP
> addresses of the Google mail servers in the MX record fields in your
> domain registrars DNS management interface.  There are a few more
> steps to the configuration process but they are usually available from
> Google's help pages.

You should pay attention, or I should. I was talking about makeing ones
own web page available to the world. That means /your/ machine, even if
it in a 3 br National built house in small village WV, USA, needs a
fixed address, or pays a heck of a lot more money to a nameserver who
can dynamically update in a reasonable time frame, your name vs address
in the root dns servers of the whole planet.

As for gmail, any class, I gave up on that several years ago. google is
just too damned much of a dictator, hating mailing lists for instance,
or dropping your access on the floor for 40 hours a week, 3 hours at a
time, or changing the access protocol about the time you get the last
one running smoothly if you subtract the huge lack of thread continuity
to your incoming email.

To me, gmail is a kettle of fish that like most fish, should have been
tilled into the garden after 3 days in the fridge.

Email, and web mail, are 2 separate views of the same thing, but are
helpfully cross converted because gmail thinks multiplying the size of
the email by 10x worth of html markup some how makes it more palatable
to Joe and Jane Six-pack. Gag...

So we will have to agree to disagree.
> [...snip...]
>
> >> Best Regards,