Odd network behavior

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 06:13:57 UTC 2017

On 2 Aug 2017 4:24 a.m., "rikona" <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 22:01:25 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 August 2017 at 20:25, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > Any idea why the Ubuntu box refused to be the desired local master
> > browser, based on how the routers were connected?
>
> What do you mean by local master browser? i am not familiar with the
> term.

It's a Windows thing and part of Samba. An edited copy from the Samba
website: The basic way browsing works is that one computer in the
network takes on the role of the master browser (also called local
master browser, browse master, or browse server) and keeps a list of
all the computers on the local subnet that are acting as SMB servers.
The list of computers is called the browse list and includes all Samba
servers. The browse list also contains the names of all workgroups and
domains.

This lets you see what other comps are in the same Win workgroup, and
connect to them. It is better to have a comp that runs 24/7 as the LMB;
nice and stable - thats why I want a particular comp to stay as the LMB.

The router change seems to be interfering with this process, setting
up new LMBs repeatedly/randomly, but I don't know why it should. My
original email had excerpts from syslog re this changeover.

The above is a bit short but I hope it helps...

Ok, I wasn't aware of that concept as I only use samba for simple stuff. My
guess (and it is just a guess) is that you are seeing a side effect of the
network dropping out. Each time it drops out and recovers some process must
go on to decide who will be the master, it may depend on which machine
reconnects to the server first for example, so there is no guarantee which
will be the master. If my guess is right then once you fix the network
issue the samba issue will disappear.

Colin

mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users