Odd network behavior

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Aug 1 19:25:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 08:15:56 -0600
compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> On 07/31/2017 10:07 PM, rikona wrote:
>
> > But, I started noticing on my Ubuntu box that I was periodically
> > losing my network connection about every 5 to 20 minutes.
>
> I recently had exactly the same problem with a client's network. it
> would work about 10 minutes then stop, and interface lights on some
> things would turn off.
>
> They have two 24 port switches, that are connected together at the
> onboard switch of a firewall. Then one day, the receptionist found
> one end of a network cable laying on the floor and decided to plug it
> into the wall.
>
> This created a 2nd path between the two main switches. A loop,
> basically. I think there are protocols like STP that can deal with
> this sort of thing, but I dont know enough about them to say. I was
> just lucky to discover what the receptionist had done, and unplugged
> the cable.

Interesting - glad you found it. Only 4 ports here, and no other wires
between the two, so can't be a 'wire loop'. But, since the two have the
same SSID, could there be a 'wireless loop' between the two even if
the channels are different?

> Btw, isnt there an option in access points that have to be used for
> the kind of roaming you're trying to do?

I was not sure what you meant by this, but when I checked the ASUS
website they mentioned an option to set up as an access point. I will
try this if I have that setting on the router. I also saw a suggestion
to reset to factory defaults before setting it up as an access point,
which I did not do. Maybe there could be some obscure setting or history
that is causing a problem. I'll try this.

Any idea why the Ubuntu box refused to be the desired local master
browser, based on how the routers were connected?

Thanks..