Odd network behavior

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Aug 1 18:52:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 08:56:10 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 August 2017 at 05:07, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> > I'm seeing some odd network behavior that I don't understand. The
> > problem started when I decided to improve the wireless coverage in
> > my house by using an extra router as second access point. Both
> > routers have the same SSID and the same encryption and password.
> > The second router has different LAN IP address, a different
> > channel[using 5 and 9], and the DHCP server is turned off in the
> > second router/access point. This second router/access point does
> > work and does extend the wireless coverage significantly, so that
> > function seems to be working.
> >
> > But, I started noticing on my Ubuntu box that I was periodically
> > losing my network connection about every 5 to 20 minutes. The
> > connection would go down for a couple of minutes then come back up.
> > When the connection went down, all the lights next to each CAT5
> > connector would go off completely [which seemed odd], not even
> > flickering. After a minute or two the input CAT5 connector light
> > would go on, followed shortly by the rest of the CAT5 connector
> > lights, and the network would be up.
>
> If I understand correctly the second router is configured as a
> repeater,

Correct

> and is a client of the wifi in the first router.

Not a wifi client - the two are connected with a single CAT5 going
between the LAN sides of the two routers. There is no connection to the
WAN side of the second router - it is basically a CAT5 switch with
wifi capability.

> If it only
> happens when the second router is connected then it sounds very much
> like a bug in the first router causing it to crash and restart under
> some particular circumstances to do with the communications with the
> second router.  I suggest first checking that the firmware in both
> routers is the latest available.

Good suggestion - I'll try that.

> If that does not help then try using a different SSID on the second router.

I was using the same SSID to facilitate easy roaming when moving
around in the house. IIUI, it's easier to switch channels than SSIDs.

> I am never sure whether this
> it is a good idea to use the same SSID on both, having seen claims
> pulling in both directions. Personally I like to be able to see which
> one is connected to and to be able to force it to one or the other if
> desired.

I check that with a phone app that tells me which wifi channel is being
used [either 5 or 9 in my case]. It also indicates the strength. I can
watch both as I move around, and is quite informative.

But, I may try using a different SSID - it's possible that might be the
problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.