Ubuntu Linux and firewalling and dual NIC's

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Wed Apr 26 23:17:46 UTC 2017

** Reply to message from Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> on Thu, 27 Apr 2017
05:41:19 +0800

> Hello.
>
> I have a firewall/gateway computer, that has two network cards, and we
> are soon to change from ADSL to the (Australian) soupy-doupy NBN thing
> with supposedly higher data transmission speed capabilities, which
> means a new modem/router thing with which to interface, and so, new
> settings (or so, I expect), which means, in the context of the status
> of the firewall/gateway computer, replacing the operating system and
> firewall software.

Depends on your security needs.

I went from ADSL to a cable modem.  Both times the computer had dual NICs and a
firewall.  Doing that is no problem with any OS that I have used.  In this kind
of a setup you need the firewall because there is nothing protecting you.
Later I got a fiber connection.  The company supplying the fiber connection
used a combination modem/router to connect my computers.  In this case I used
the modem/routers firewall as it is good enough for my needs and deleted the
firewall from the computer.

So what are your security needs?  In my case I decided the router firewall was
good enough to keep most people out and there is no TOP-SECRET stuff on my
little network that would attract the really bad guys.

--
Robert Blair

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.  -- George Bernard Shaw