Ubuntu Linux and firewalling and dual NIC's

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Apr 26 22:37:53 UTC 2017

On 17-04-26 05:41 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a firewall/gateway computer, that has two network cards, and we
> are soon to change from ADSL to the (Australian) soupy-doupy NBN thing
> with supposedly higher data transmission speed capabilities, which
> means a new modem/router thing with which to interface, and so, new
> settings (or so, I expect), which means, in the context of the status
> of the firewall/gateway computer, replacing the operating system and
> firewall software.
>
> I have thus far, used Ubuntu Linux only as a workstation operating
> system, which does not involve two network interfaces; two NIC's, and
> so I need to know whether Ubuntu can be used on the firewall/gateway
> computer, running two NIC's on the same computer.

Depending on your situation and what you're more comfortable with, you
might want to uninstall network manger and resolveconf packages, and
configure the two interfaces with traditional debian interfaces file and
iptables scripts.  (this is what I still do in this situation, though
I'm not certain it's still the *best* solution, it is certainly what I'm
more familiar with.)