How to tell which version of a application is running

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Apr 19 09:48:26 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 19-04-2017 10:50:

> This isn't a reply to Xen, just a hint addressed to the original
> poster.
>
> Karl's suggestion isn't bad.
>
> The reason Karl recommended to remove the unneeded version is, that
> soon or later having two versions of the same software installed, is
> asking for trouble, if those versions aren't clearly separated. You
> already noticed yourself that there was an issue and fixing it with a
> dirty hack might just be a temporarily solution.

Can you just stop calling it a dirty hack ffs?

That's just your judgement on these things Ralf.

You have used the words "dirty hack" at least 10 times in these
messages.

There is nothing wrong with using a quick solution that works.

If removing tracker removes Ubuntu-Desktop or something similar than no,
it's not a good solution.

Asking for trouble is a lie, in all likelihood there wouldn't ever be
any issues.

> IIUC you have removed your local install and upgraded tracker with a
> package from a newer Ubuntu release. If so, then actually this fulfills
> what Karl suggested, too.

No, that's like saying that throwing away an apple and eating it are the
same thing.

Just because the upgrade removed the older versions doesn't mean purging
the older versions directly would have been a good idea.

Stop muddying the waters please and just give clear advice next time
instead of saying that apples and oranges are the same now in order to
not lose face???

> Consider to read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports .
> Ubuntu provides official backports, but even using those come with "an
> inherent risk".

Yes, terrible.

> What you've got now quasi is an unofficial backport. There's nothing
> wrong with this workaround, but it has got an "an inherent risk", too.
> However, any diversion from the official supported Ubuntu is risky,
> dirty hacks as well as well done customizing.

Of course bugs are not.

> Rrésumé:
>
> _If_ you backported packages and everything is still working and _if
> you
> in addition_ removed the local installed files of "tracker", this is
> what Karl and I tried to provide, too. It's still a hack, but not that
> dirty anymore.

Yeah, just no one mentioned installing something from Yakkety when it is
that easy and not any more risky than installing and compiling your own
versions as packages, obviously much less so.

> 1. You can keep it that way, without being much worried.
>
> 2. This isn't a silver bullet, you can do it again and again. This kind
> of backporting might not work for another version of "tracker" again.

Stop making people scared for no reason.

Mr. doombringer.