Network manager and split DNS for a VPN?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:02:53 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

>     chris$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>     resolvconf(8)
>     #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>     nameserver 127.0.1.1
>     search zbmc.eu
>
>     chris at raspberrypi:~$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     cat: /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf: No such file or directory

Oops. I was sure that I'd been able to "cat" a file in "/run/" to get
the upstream servers that dnsmasq was using. Maybe I was
misremembering or maybe I'd customized the dnsmasq and/or resolvconf
configuration. Sorry!

If you're using dnsmasq as opposed to dnsmasq-base, you'd have to set
it up via "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" and you could then grep it for
"^server=" to get the upstream server(s).