Network manager and split DNS for a VPN?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Apr 13 08:37:43 UTC 2017

Chris Green schreef op 13-04-2017 10:19:
> It *would* be nice, however....
>
> On my systems running the 'dnsmasq plugin' from NM I see:-
>
>     chris$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>     resolvconf(8)
>     #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE
> OVERWRITTEN
>     nameserver 127.0.1.1
>     search zbmc.eu
>

> ... and on the system where I'm running a 'real' dnsmasq I see:-
>
>     chris at raspberrypi:~$ cat /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>     cat: /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
>     chris at raspberrypi:~$

dnsmasq just lacks a proper querying method for all I'm concerned. At
least the versions I am familiar with are capable of e.g. writing a file
with DHCP lease contents, but actually having a user frontend, no.

Apparently that channel exists in the form of dbus. But it shouldn't be
so hard to have a form of "dnsmasq -q" command that would just query the
contents of its database.

Well anyway, there is never a lack of stuff to change ;-).