auto configuration systems

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Apr 12 17:26:21 UTC 2017

Lets say you always install package "foo" and one day there is a
hard dependency to package "bar". Package bar contains a service to
start "bard", something that's bad for your needs.

When using Ubuntu "bard" gets automatically started, so you need to
disable it.

When using Arch Linux the hard dependency gets installed, too, but
"bard" doesn't get automatically started, so you have nothing to do,
you still could use your script to set up everything.

Apart from this the Arch package management provides features Ubuntu
doesn't provide and vice versa the Ubuntu package management provides
features Arch Linux doesn't provide. Now take an educated guess what
the target group of Ubuntu is and what the target group of Arch Linux
is. The tools are made to fit to the users needs.

However, I don't try to change your mind, to migrate to Arch Linux. You
asked a question, I gave an answer based on my experiences with Ubuntu
and Arch Linux.

Regards,
Ralf