auto configuration systems

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Apr 12 10:35:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:02:11PM +0200, Xen wrote:
> But if you do; you run into the issue of perpetuating your changes.
>
> Keeping configuration alive through many installs is not very useful; and
> hence you seek a way to regenerate config or to reapply it from some config
> system that you design or use from someone else.

I work quite hard to keep the 'installation' standard - i.e. the bulk
of what's in /etc and /usr I try to keep 'as installed'.

All (well, very nearly all) of the customisation is in /home
(specifically the ~/.config and ~/.local directories).

So, when I update I lose very little, if any, of my configuration.
The only thing I need to 'remember' if I do a clean install as opposed
to an upgrade is the extra things I have installed.

Things like web pages (and a wiki) are in my home directory with
symbolic links from /srv.

--
Chris Green