Network manager and split DNS for a VPN?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Apr 12 07:13:49 UTC 2017

Karl Auer schreef op 12-04-2017 1:03:

> It *should* work, and dnsmasq it even *looks* as if it is doing it, but
> it isn't actually working. Here is a sample bit of dnsmasq log file
> after the VPN comes up:

Question: can you query the dnsmasq contents while it is running?

I never really liked the fact that dnsmasq (as a local nameserver) is
used by default by NetworkManager,

although I guess it moves the inflexibility (?) of /etc/resolv.conf to
something more developed.

For a user seeing /etc/resolv.conf output something like:

127.0.1.1 localhost

and then not being able to verify the contents of that nameserver is a
bit disheartening.

Particularly as I think the commands are updated over dbus and the user
has no control over that at all.

Regards.