Chrome "forced" upgrades

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Apr 10 08:53:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:31:50 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>John R. Sowden wrote:
>> I received an update notice from Ubuntu (v16.04) including "Extra
>> ffmpeg codecs for the Chromium Bro...".  I declined the Chromium
>> update, as I have never installed Chrome or Chromium on my computer
>
>But probably you have the package "ubuntu-restricted-addons" installed
>which depends on the package "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" for some
>reason.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-restricted-addons

A meta-package without any hard dependency, just recommended packages.
Those package anyway don't belong on a machine used for a security and
privacy sensible business. Using a browser with flashplugin much likely
is more insecure, than using Chrome.

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 19:28:10 -0700, John R. Sowden wrote:
>Due the the security nature of mu business, I do my
>best to minimize my company's exposure to privacy violating data
>collectors. [snip]
>I like to think that I am not a 'conspiracy' kinda guy, but ......
>hows the duck theory go?

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
then it probably is a duck."

In the context of your request this means, that _you_ are most likely
the risk and nothing else!

Consider it as a well-meaning advice, it isn't roughness to repeat,
that you need somebody to pay, to tidy up your business machine, if
security and privacy by the nature of your business are much important.
The "best" you do at the moment easily could lead to a serious security
risk.

Regards,
Ralf