How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 21:44:51 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 02:48:18 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>>On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>>Malware in MSWindows does not need bootrec to write over the MBR, nor
>>to write other places that naming here would be providing more
>>cookbook for malware.
>
> It's better to provide this information to increase security. A
> cookbook providing recipes to attack computers also renders such
> attacks useless, since users then have the chance to protect their
> computers against such attacks. If you keep this secrets, you increase
> security risks, not security.

Well, there are tradeoffs, which is why I was willing to provide that
much information.

>>> Now I can't say with a million percent accuracy that my computer
>>> is not part of a botnet (when it is running Windows).
>>
>>Why do you limit that to MSWindows?
>
> For botnet usage attackers tend to hack routers, not the operating
> systems of the connected desktop computers and tablet PCs.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Indeed.

We users of non-Microsoft, non-Apple OSses need to be much more
careful of how we get our tools and how we use them.

And we need to remember that, if we lose a MSWindows OS to some
attack, these days, we'd better check our BIOS, as well.

And at least consider the possibility that the motherboard and disk
drives should never be used again in a system that will have anything
valuable on it, depending on the manufacturer's care in providing real
write protection to the recovery BIOS and a usable method for
restoring updated BIOSses to factory state so you can start over with
a clean BIOS.

Would be better to start a manufacturing chain for producing computers
that aren't practically pwned out of the box, too, but that's more
than what we can do as individuals.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: