How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Apr 6 07:36:27 UTC 2017

Jim schreef op 06-04-2017 2:51:
> I have a system that has 3 hard drives. Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04 &
> Windows 7. Haven't used Win 7 for a long time, but now I have a sudden
> need to do so.
>
> When I booted win 7 it installed updates and failed on SP 1. Googling
> says a possible cause is SP 1 can't deal with grub. A suggested
> solution was to unplug the linux drives and boot with just windows
> present. When I try that I get the message: BOOTMGR is missing.
>
> All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install disk
> to fix it, I didn't get one when I bought this system many years ago.
> What do I need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives
> containing Ubuntu present?

It seems like the Windows boot system was put on a Linux drive, or it
just gets confused about the order of harddrives when you remove the
Linux drive.

You do need a bootable DVD or something of the sort to fix it.

What Liam says, you can download directly from microsoft but you need a
"serial" key for it nowadays that is a "retail" key. If you don't have a
retail serial they won't allow you to download, which is a bit... sucky.

Rather, I hope no one minds that I share this easy to find mirror (that
I just googled):

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

To be able to install anyone of the downloads you find there, you still
need a serial from Microsoft, so this is no blanket way to install
something illegal, but you do get the bootable DVD.

I believe that as of late you need a torrent client to download
anything, they are no longer direct downloads.

Preferably you will boot the Windows system with no other disk present,
with the DVD, then in the DVD menu you press shift-F10.

Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then you cross your fingers and pray to god or whatever diety of your
liking you may have, that it will find your OS.

However, this will overwrite GRUB if Grub is on that disk.

You may need to put this windows disk at that point in time to be the
BIOS first boot device.

Then hopefully it can fix the boot for Windows with only that disk
present.

If you then re-add the other disks and make them a priority in the boot
order, you will get Grub again. Hopefully.

In order to ensure that you will always be able to boot Linux, it is
better to install Grub first on another disk as well: such as a USB
stick:

If your usb stick is /dev/sdf (for example:)

# grub-install /dev/sdf

And that should be enough to be able to boot back into the Grub that is
sitting on your Linux disks using that USB stick and boot your Linux
that way.

Regards.