Help, my disk array has one dead member

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Mon Apr 3 17:03:48 UTC 2017

On 4/3/2017 11:41 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 4:34 AM, william drescher
> <william at techservsys.com <mailto:william at techservsys.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/1/2017 11:56 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>         That's not going to work for me.  Most of the data is in
>         a single
>         SQLite database.  It's all or nothing and rsync doesn't help.
>         Moreover, remember this is a hobby project, and I have no
>         "offsite" to use.  I can and do back up the individual
>         contributions to the database, or the algorithms and commands
>         used, so restoring from those would be  possible but ugly.
>

>     I may be completely off base for you, but we have found that
>      using mySQL replication is our solution.
>     The slave server is off site connected via a hardware based VPN.
>     This gives us a hot backup of our data and the ability to
>     switch to the backup server if the primary dies.
>
>     In your case it would give you the safety of continuous
>     backup of your data.  You could have the backup server at the
>     same location (Our "obsolete" windows machines become fully
>     functional linux servers.)
>
>     of course the conversion from SQLite to mySQL would be a big job.
>     --bill
>
> Not to mention arranging for an off-site repository.  It's a bit
> beyond my personal budget.
Ignoring disaster recovery, you can do the replication in a 2nd
server, right next to the main server. Or you can put the
replication server in the basement and be able to recover from a
tornado...

As to provisioning a replication server: you can buy "old"
computers for under $100 and you don't need a RAID setup, just a
disk that is big enough for the OS and the database.
--bill