problems upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Fri Sep 30 13:36:00 UTC 2016

On 29/09/16 13:27, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was hoping that there'd be a different way but you're going to
>>> have to do what I would've done a while back if this were my system:
>>> dpkg -P --force-all gcc-5-base followed by updating your system to
>>> pull it back in and finishing your upgrade.
>> But please back up first just in case something goes wrong.
> I've just read a reply by Olli and what he seemed to be suggesting's a
> better idea. Download the 16.04 gcc-5-base .deb and run dpkg -i
> --force-all gcc-5-base-<...>.deb
Tom, Ralf & Olli,
Thanks for your replies.Actually, Tom, your last suggestion "dpkg -P
--force-all gcc-5-base" did the trick.
Not in the first try but then it was suggested to try "dpkg -f " and
that suddenly removed many - apparently old - packages and installed new
ones. The only package that gave a problem in the end was mysql-server
but I seldom use it so I will simply remove mysql and install mariadb
which I was already planning to do for a long time but most programs I
use work with sql-light as I am not a data-cruncher (only in a former life).
I now will begin restarting the system and see what happens. I'll report
what happens.
But for now: thanks to all that contributed to (hopefully) solving my
problem.
Joep