problems upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 26 19:45:16 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mo, 2016-09-26 at 21:32 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:22:49 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > On Mo, 2016-09-26 at 16:41 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > If a release upgrade should work smoothly, then it must be done
> > > without third party, proposed and other experimental repositories
> > > enabled or packages installed.
> > >
> > > Most likely there's the need to do what Tom suggested, or to do
> > > something similar tricky, that hardly could be done
> > > automatically.
> >
> > automatically disabling PPAs and other third party repos is one of
> > the
> > main purposes of do-release-upgrade/update-manager ;) (see [1] if
> > you
> > ever want to override this behaviour)
> >
> > by default all PPAs and unknown repos as well as -proposed get
> > disabled
> > before the updater does any actions to the system.
> >
> > ciao
> > 	oli
> >
> > [1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/xenial/ubun
> > tu-r
> > elease-upgrader/xenial/view/head:/DistUpgrade/README#L23
>
> Hi,
>
> ok, I have no time to read the link today. What happens if the OP
> already installed packages that aren't from official repositories and
> that are very important?
>
> IOW why has got the OP a package installed, that is even a newer
> version, than the one available by the release upgraded official
> repos?
> I suspect that only the repos get disabled, but such a package will
> not
> be downgraded, e.g. regarding a dependency chain.

well, it *tries* to resolve the situation as good as it can. if it can
clearly make out that the removal of one package will solve the
situation it will suggest that, but that only works for non complex
bits i think ... libstdc++ is rather essential and on a very low level,
with a big dependency chain on top.

ciao
	oli