Hopw to position a window on the second monitor?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Sep 16 05:16:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 11:01:46 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>as far as X is concerned, it's all one big display.

If so, couldn't you use wmctl to move the x and y position of a window,
after it was opened on the first monitor? Since a new launched app
usually is the focused app, you could get the window ID using xdotool.

You and I wrote a script based on both commands this year:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-April/thread.html

The thread's name is
"Define a custom shortcut for Compiz Window Manager".

I guess the window moves that fast, that it hardly would be noticeable
that it was opened on the first monitor and moved to the other one.