16.04 problems - install, inactive/suspend, hard disk

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Sep 14 00:32:17 UTC 2016

Hello Colin,

Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 2:07:07 PM, Colin wrote:

> On 13 September 2016 at 22:03, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>> Are there lists of H/W that are known to work well with 16.04?

> I presume you have checked that the image you are installing from is
> good.

Yes - the MD5 was good, so assumed the disk was OK.

> When you boot the first thing it should show is a black screen with
> an image of a little man and a keyboard at the bottom of the screen.
> If you hit a key then you will see an option to check the files on
> the image.

Did this too - looks like it checks each file, a better test. it found
no errors. Since this was on the new DVD, I'll assume the DVD is
likely good too.

> If the image is good then I imagine the problems you have been
> having are nothing to do with which particular software you are
> trying to install.

Lots of people have run 16.04 - I assumed it was OK. :-) Good to check
if my copy is also good, though.

At some places, the "CPU#n stuck for XXsecs" warning in syslog was
considered a kernel issue. If someone running 16.04 could check their
syslog for "stuck", and has that warning, or not, I'd very much like
to know.

Thanks.

--

 rikona