Mate 16.04 not kicking in after install on ubuntu 16.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Sep 12 11:16:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:24:46 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>On 12 September 2016 at 10:51, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 09:25:17 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
>>>Installing mate-desktop-environment seems to be a better choice.
>>
>> That's what I posted before Colin posted "mate-desktop", however, as
>> already pointed out, the OP likely wants neither
>> "mate-desktop-environment", nor "mate-desktop", but likely the
>> meta-package "ubuntu-mate-desktop".
>
>I think you are right Ralf, and I was wrong.  I think we have all
>learned something here.

Hi Colin,

did we? Regarding the best package to chose I neither trust you, nor
myself ;D.

The OP should consider to join https://ubuntu-mate.community/ regarding
Ubuntu Mate related issues.

Here the Ubuntu Mate team mentions a mailing list,
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-mate-community/8 ,
but no link is provided and I only found a Ubuntu Mate devel mailing
list, https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+mailing-list-subscribers ,
that isn't mentioned by https://lists.ubuntu.com/ .

This...
https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+install+another+ubuntu+flavour+by+meta+packages

...leads to...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions

...were Ubuntu Mate isn't mentioned at all and to...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/306282/can-i-change-my-ubuntu-install-into-a-different-flavour-like-kubuntu

...where Mate isn't mentioned either, but apart from
ubuntu-gnome-desktop all other hints mention foo-desktop, not
ubuntu-foo-desktop. The flavour related Wikis might mention other
meta-packages, at least Ubuntu Studio isn't just the desktop package,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu
and even this Wiki is some Wiki I'll edit as soon as possible,
regarding other issues, but maybe even the mentioned meta-packages are
not up-to-date. I suspect others are required, too, but didn't check
all dependencies, so I might be mistaken.

An issue the OP could experience might be cause by desktop files for
file manager that try to manage the desktop. "Nautilus" for Unity and
"Caja" for Mate do so.

I don't know, but perhaps there's the need to edit the file manager
desktop files options

  OnlyShowIn=
  Exec=

to provide the file manager of the other DE with the "--no-desktop"
option by the menu and the file manager that belongs to the chosen DE
session without this option.

Installing relatively bloated DEs parallel to each other could cause
issues for inexperienced users.

Regards,
Ralf