Mate 16.04 not kicking in after install on ubuntu 16.04

Johan Scheepers johansche at telkomsa.net
Mon Sep 12 08:45:27 UTC 2016

On 11/09/2016 19:16, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 18:36:33 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Have installed ubuntu 16.04.1 dated 07-09-2016.
>>
>> Afterwards installed mate according to internet from ppa and then the
>> rest to instructions.
>>
>> Now mate does not show up when password requested.
> Why did you install from a PPA? What PPA?
I thought that this should work.
*To upgrade to the latest MATE Desktop 1.14.x in Ubuntu MATE 16.04 using
the official Xenial MATE PPA*, open a terminal and use the following
commands:

|sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade|
*************************************

  Mate is provided by an Ubuntu flavour and available by official
repositories.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-flavours
   -> https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Actually I don't now Ubuntu Mate myself, but assuming it should not be
up to date for you, then you perhaps should consider to use another
distro. If you just want Mate, provided by Ubuntu, how ever up to date
it might be or not, then simply use/install Mate from official
repositories.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mate&searchon=names&suite=xenial&section=all
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=xenial&section=all&arch=any&keywords=ubuntu-mate&searchon=names

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/mate-desktop-environment