finding/installing "virtual packages"

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Sep 6 11:06:08 UTC 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 09:01:58 +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:33:53 +0200
>Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 20:29:59 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> >Unless you need a version other than 4.0.1 that is.
>>
>> If another version is weanted, then there's a command line
>> tool for installing a downloaded package.deb available, that does
>> resolve dependencies, if those are available by the repositories.
>>
>>   http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/gdebi.1.html
>>   http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gdebi
>>
>> I never used this tool. You could also run
>>
>>   sudo dpkg -i --force-depends package.deb
>>   sudo apt -f install
>
>You can also do this in one step, with 'sudo apt install ./file.deb'

Thank you Petter,

neither the apt man page, nor --help does mention it, so I made a test
and noticed that here is the need to add the path, because without the
path auto-completion doesn't work.

[weremouse at moonstudio tmp]$ wget -q http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/k/kubuntu-meta/kubuntu-desktop_1.338_amd64.deb
[weremouse at moonstudio tmp]$ sudo apt install ./kubuntu-desktop_1.338_amd64.deb
[snip]
0 upgraded, 1041 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 604 MB of archives.
After this operation, 2,075 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Regards,
Ralf