finding/installing "virtual packages"

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Mon Sep 5 18:17:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

i'm more used to the rpm stuff, so i'm struggling with debian packages.
I need to install some deb-packages. They are complaining about unsatisfied dependencies. I found out that the missing dependencies are virtual packages.
How do i find these virtual packages and install them ? aptitude search does not give any result.
Then i found out (http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/96309/how-can-i-know-if-a-virtual-package-is-installed-on-a-debian-system) that aptitude aptitude search "~v" should
list all virtual packages, installed or not. But the needed aren't listed. E.g. libavcodec57 or libavutil55.
Why not ? Do i need another repository ? Which one ? How can i add it ?
I have Ubuntu 16.04 TLS 64bit, but it's just a live system. I wanted to test s.th. "quickly".

Thanks for any help.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
institute of developmental genetics
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum München
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 (0)89 3187 1241
fax: +49 (0)89 3187 2294

Erst wenn man sich auf etwas festlegt kann man Unrecht haben
Scott Adams

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671