Out of memory (oom) issues

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:33:32 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-09-04 at 09:53 -0500, Chris wrote:

> > > I took a look at startup processes on boot and it shows
> > > networkmanager
> > > set to 'no' and wicd to 'yes' though looking at top I see that
> > > both
> > > are
> > > running. I never noticed was wicd used in 14.04LTS?
> > wicd has never been supported or officially recommended in ubuntu.
> > note
> > that startup-applications only applies to the UI part of network
> > manager (nm-applet). the system daemon (NetworkManager) obviously
> > still
> > runs as you can see by looking at your processes.
> I just stopped wicd. Oddly yesterday I could swear that when I did
> that
> the network went down. Guess I was imagining it. I'll set wicd not to
> start at boot time then. I use Webmin to do quite a few things like
> this, makes it easier for me.
> >

> > > Found nothing useful in /var/crash however I did install Variety
> > > on
> > > the
> > > 29th of Aug
> > i did notice variety in the logs, but it didnt seem to actually
> > take
> > much ram there ... though as i just learned it can use external
> > tools
> > like convert to apply filters and effect to your wallpaper on the
> > fly
> > ... that could indeed be very ram hungry, especially if it
> > downloads
> > random stuff from the internet all the time too where you cant
> > really
> > predict what it takes to adjust it to your screen or filter
> > selection.
> >
> > ciao
> > 	oli
> >
> I stopped Variety yesterday afternoon at 3:24pm. Left Evo up all
> night
> so I'd know for sure if there was an oom as it would probably be
> closed. No issues so to really verify that Variety is the cause I
> started it again this morning at 8:30 but only using my ~/Wallpaper
> folder, not downloading wallpapers, or quotes. I even disabled the
> clock that it has. So, I'll see where it goes from here. If it goes
> so
> many hours without an oom I'll slowly add in features to see what
> causes it to happen and then get with the author.
>

>From 8:30am until 3:25 Variety ran with no problems just switching
wallpapers from my folder. At 3:25pm I added in the option for the
clock and for quotes to be downloaded and displayed. At 3:48 this was
in the syslog

https://pastebin.com/SFZNHwk

Actually it started before that as at 3:44:02 my clock froze for a good
5+ minutes until Firefox was killed. Now to get all my evidence
together and send to the author. I've again changed the preferences and
took out the clock and quotes because as soon as I activated them the
system slowed so I had to change the preferences again and just have
the wallpaper changer running.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C