Manual for apt

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Sep 3 12:50:34 UTC 2016

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 14:23:50 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>On Sa, 2016-09-03 at 12:57 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> as a side note, for both, apt and apt-get I noticed that
>> auto-completion does work after "sudo -i", but not after "su".
>>
>you might find that for more tools, simply because su (on purpose)
>drops all environment while sudo carries parts or even all of it over
>(depending on how you invoke it).
>
>which also results in one processing the users ~/.bashrc and the other
>not ...
>if you check your ~/.bashrc you will find the lines that source the
>bash_completion db.

Hm?

[root at moonstudio weremouse]# grep "programmable completion features" -A5 ~/.bashrc
# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
#if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ] && ! shopt -oq posix; then
#    . /etc/bash_completion
#fi
[root at moonstudio weremouse]# grep "programmable completion features" -A5 /root/.bashrc
# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
#if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ] && ! shopt -oq posix; then
#    . /etc/bash_completion
#fi

*?*
Ralf