Manual for apt

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Sep 3 10:35:01 UTC 2016

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 09:55:09 +0000
Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> Is there some advantage to apt over apt-get or my preference
> aptitude? Just curious about your interest in apt.

AIUI, apt is intended as a frontend to the whole dpkg/APT subsystem, as
it does not only cover functionality from apt-get, but also things from
apt-cache and dpkg.

In #ubuntu on Freenode, users are encouraged[1] to use apt instead of
apt-get, as it is a single tool that (at least at some point) will do
everything they need.

It is also shorter to type and looks pretty :)

[1] apt-get and friends should be used for scripts instead of apt, as
the apt interface is not (yet) stable.

Petter

--
"Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done." --Anne Onymous