break-in attempt in my machine

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Thu Sep 1 13:35:25 UTC 2016

I'm a bit late to the party, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned,
but this is where Fail2Ban is ideal. I never put in a production web server
(or ANY public server) without having Fail2Ban configured to block stuff
like this.  Doesn't really fix this problem, but it will avoid a LOT of
this in the future.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:55 AM, <J.Witvliet at mindef.nl> wrote:

> If you have a /64 or a /48 IPv6 available, Just use one of them _only_
> for ssh. With the millions possible adresses, even kiddies Won't find them
> accidentally.
> And with the first failure, just change your AAAA entry.
>

> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
> > Op 30 aug. 2016 om 06:09 heeft Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> het
> volgende geschreven:

> >> Clearly!
> >
> > Yeah.

> >> No. But it helps a LOT against the script kiddies,
> >
> > And my thought there was that skript kiddies are no longer the only
> > people we should worry about.
> >
> > It's a good list to get started, but we should really be encouraging
> > users to understand what logging in means, how it is done, how these
> > attacks use our computers against us, and so forth.
> >
> >> who are trying only
> >> passwords. Using publickey makes a successful ssh login with only a
> >> password impossible.
> >
> > One thing that people miss is that the keyboard and the network are
> > two separate vectors. What's appropriate for one is not appropriate
> > for the other.
> >
> >> As to keyloggers: That's a whole different class of attack, and it is
> >> just confusing the issue here.
> >
> > How confident can the average user who has been surfing random places
> > in the Internet be that one of the browser scripts, etc., that has
> > detached itself from a recent browser session is not, in fact, a
> > keylogger?

> >> There are a thousand things one could and should do. I gave a list of
> >> the most important ones, *in the context of script-kiddy attacks*.
> >
> > :)

> >> That's why I said to use ports higher than 1024.
> >
> > A quick browse through /etc/services is amusing.
> >
> > So is a walk through a resource like
> >
> >    https://www.sans.org/security-resources/idfaq/which-
> backdoors-live-on-which-ports/8/4
> >
> >> Whatever port you use
> >> does have to be allowed to reach your ssh server though, and I guess
> >> that's what you are getting at when you mention malware.
> >
> > Actually, I was thinking of some time back when I moved home
> > workstation ssh port to something like 33561 and found I was living an
> > exciting life. So to speak. Not a neighborhood I had intended to be
> > in.

> >> It's security through obscurity, but it is *extremely* effective
> >> against script-kiddy automated attacks. Move off port 22, and watch the
> >> attacks disappear.
> >
> > But we need to be thinking about whether the kiddies are the only
> > attackers we need to worry about.
> >
> > I know I have nothing of value in my home network. My son might not be
> > so sure he has nothing of value in my network. Or some attacker might
> > think I look like I might have something valuable, just because I rant
> > strange things in my blogs from time to time.
> >
> > Moving the port doesn't always make the attacks disappear. You need to
> [...]

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |