dirty cow und 12.04 LTS

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:14:32 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>>
>> I changed /etc/default/grub:
>>
>> GRUB_DEFAULT='Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-113-generic'
>
> Is that a valid entry? I always thought the expression should be a
> number with the first entry being 0. Furthermore, if you get another
> update, you would have to change that line again.

It is.

>From doco:

<begin>
'GRUB_DEFAULT'

The default menu entry.

This may be a number, in which case it identifies the Nth entry in the
generated menu counted from zero, or the title of a menu entry, or the
special string 'saved'.

Using the title may be useful if you want to set a menu entry as the
default even though there may be a variable number of entries before it.

For example, if you have:

menuentry 'Example GNU/Linux distribution' --class gnu-linux {
}

then you can make this the default using:

GRUB_DEFAULT='Example GNU/Linux distribution'

If you set this to 'saved', then the default menu entry will be that
saved by 'GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT', grub-set-default, or grub-reboot.

The default is '0'.
</end>