Why doesn't Firefox from Canonical get updated?

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 22 21:14:40 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-10-22 at 15:02 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 10/22/2016 01:22 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> >
> > On 22 October 2016 at 09:49, Lukas Erlacher <erlacher at in.tum.de>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > According to your signature you are running a long-term support
> > > release of
> > > Ubuntu, which by design skews against frequent updates because of
> > > the idea
> > > that updates very frequently introduce new bugs or even just
> > > unwanted
> > > changes in functionality. This means updates are typically
> > > limited to
> > > critical security patches backported onto a version of the
> > > package that was
> > > locked in when the Ubuntu distribution was released, with all
> > > other patches
> > > ignored.
> > >

> > In fact I believe that that does not apply to Firefox as security
> > fixes are
> > not released upstream for old versions of Firefox, so the only way
> > to get
> > security fixes is to use the latest version of FF.  I think it is
> > the case
> > that all supported versions of Ubuntu use the same version of FF,
> > which
> > lags only a little from the latest available upstream.
> >
> > I could be wrong, if so then someone will correct me.
> >
> > Colin
>
> I agree Colin.  Firefox updates come frequently. Whenever I get an
> update I always go and look at the change log to see what they have
> added or removed. The dates when we get the updates are only a few
> days
> after the release date.
>
> Regards,  Jim

I agree with both you can Colin Jim. After applying what Francis
suggested last night which worked once and only once for some reason I
went in and with the menu editor changed the path over to read
~/firefox/firefox which now runs the Mozilla version not the Ubuntu
distribution. I'm happy as long as I have a Firefox that works

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C