New box, memory problem

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:26:36 UTC 2016

Debatable; there are several thing to consider:

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 7:52 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> >* move swap from SSD to HD.
>
> No need for this. Please treat your modern SSD like any hard drive.
> There's a good chance it will outlive the system its installed in.

It may survive, but in systems with a lot of RAM, where swapping is rare
(like my new one with 256GB RAM) you may want to use the SSD space for
things that need to be faster.  On the system I'm describing some daemons
get swapped out because they're never active, but I keep a small swap space
so the kernel can do that.  No need for them to be on SSD.

> >* Consider disabling journalling on filesystems on SSD.
>
> I feel this is bad advice:
>
> "A journaling file system is a file system that keeps track of changes not
> yet committed to the file system's main part by recording the intentions of
> such changes in a data structure known as a "journal", which is usually a
> circular log. In the event of a system crash or power failure, such file
> systems can be brought back online more quickly with lower likelihood of
> becoming corrupted."
>
> Yeah, I like the fast fsck you get on a journaled file system.  I don't
want to think of how long it would take to fsck my 11-TB RAID without
journaling.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */