A few more questions

Timothy Holmes taholmes160 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 20:11:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016, 3:50 AM Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> before you follow my following advices, wait until another subscriber
> confirms that I didn't made a mistake by accident.
>
> Run
>
>   $ sudo -i
>   # apt update -qq && apt install gparted util-linux
>   # umount /dev/sdb1
>   # umount /dev/sdb2
>   # umount /dev/sdb3
>   # umount /dev/sdb4
>   # gparted
>
> on the upper right corner there's a selection box.
> Ensure that /dev/sda is the drive with around 40G, including a ext4
> file system and the / mount point. If so, select /dev/sdb and ensure
> that this is drive providing around 80G and that it does _not_ include
> an ext file system and that _nothing_ is mounted. If it shouldn't be
> like that _stop_. If everything should be ok, then continue with
>
>   Device -> Create partition table...
>
> to erase the disk and to create a msdos partition table again.
> After that
>
>   Partition -> New
>
> Create a primary ext4 partition and when finished close gparted.
>
>   # mkdir /mnt/new_home
>   # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/new_home/
>
> Now close all applications, excepted of the terminal and don't
> do anything else with your computer, just run
>
>   # ls -hAl /home/ /mnt/new_home/
>
> home/ at least contains your home and it should not contain any
> directory or file that name starts with a dot. If so, continue with
>
>   # cp --archive /home/* /mnt/new_home/
>   # echo $?
>
> The output of echo $? must be 0. If so continue with
>
>   # diff /home/FOO/ /mnt/new_home/FOO | grep Only\ in
>
> where FOO needs to be replaced by one directory after the other. Most
> likely there only is one directory, your user's home available.
>
> There must be _no_ output from diff. If so, then most likely everything
> went well.
>
>   # exit
>
> Post the output of
>
>   $ blkid /dev/sdb1
>
> and attach /etc/fstab to your email.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Hi Ralf

Everything seemed to go fine. Heres the output you asked for

tim at tim-W8TAH:~$ blkid /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Data" UUID="17d6f0e8-3ce4-4190-8f92-c4182acc9ce0"
TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="6a1c233a-01"
tim at tim-W8TAH:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=118b4852-0609-4250-9a0b-d27b406958e3 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=205cd43f-a704-44b4-a047-1f8396ddcd2a none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sdb /mnt/data auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
tim at tim-W8TAH:~$

Tim

--

Tim Holmes - W8TAH