Does my machine send spam???

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Oct 17 22:20:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-17 at 12:51 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 17 October 2016 at 12:27, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm putting this in the thread because I only got a single copy
> > rather
> > than the usual several, which makes it appear more legitimate, and
> > it
> > claims to be from somebody I know although the email address is
> > different, but sent to several recipients who I also know with what
> > look
> > like genuine addresses.
> That sounds like somebody's email has been hacked and they have got
> hold of the contacts list. Not necessarily you though. Most likely
> someone with a hotmail or google acct or similar has responded to a
> website popping up a dialog asking them to sign in to their hotmail
> acct (or whatever).
>
> Colin

Agreed. It is indeed a Google account. I phoned the victim to make sure
she knows that this is happening and to notify the others.

Normally I just delete scam email but this one is different, in that it
it is

a) "from" a person known to me
b) "to" other people known to me
c) there was and still is only one copy

so this is far more clever and convincing than most of the junk I
receive.