No Sound

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Oct 15 17:48:25 UTC 2016

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 19:31:53 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 17:17:23 +0000, Timothy Holmes wrote:
>>Those are the two sound cards that are in the machine.  Aplay -l
>>recognizes them both and throws no errors
>
>When using more than one sound card, the order could change when
>rebooting. A culprit could be that a dedicated device is expected as
>default card hw:0, but after rebooting the other card became hw:0.
>
>An /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf could give the cards consistent
>device numbers, by reserving a position.
>
>Even with my ice cards unmounted, an USB device would become hw:3.
>
>[root at moonstudio ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
># ALSA module ordering
>options snd slots=snd_hdspm,snd_ice1712,snd_ice1712
>
>So in your case
>
>options snd slots=snd_ca0106
>
>would make this card always hw:0, you even don't need to reserve a
>position for the other card or cards.
>
>If you shouldn't need an onboard card at all, because you prefer to use
>another card, consider to disable it by the BIOS settings.

Even some apps sometimes have settings to chose a sound card, if more
than one should be available.

Note, I'm a pro-audio user and have got no experiences with
desktop-sound.

Maybe

http://askubuntu.com/questions/80384/where-are-the-lxde-sound-preferences

gives a pointer.

Is LXDE the only DE? Perhaps pulseaudio is installed?

Regards,
Ralf