What's happening with 16.04 & 16.10? 100% of RAM being used by nothing!

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 01:37:56 UTC 2016

Guys,

 Something is happening with 3 Ubuntu Desktops that I have, 2 are 16.04, 1
is 16.10.

 Right after booting the machine, before even login into Unity via lightdm,
I type "control + alt + f2" to login via console and.... 100% of my RAM is
being used!

 But nothing is really using it!

 Where did my RAM went to?

 It is not lightdm or the GUI environment, I disable it by running
"systemctl disable lightdm" and rebooted the desktop, right after login in,
the RAM is all occupied.

 When I boot into the rescue mode, I can see that my RAM is free, normal
boot, it is 100% occupied!

 * Rescue mode 127M being used:

 http://imgur.com/a/I4jmj

 * Normal boot (31016M being used!!!):

 http://imgur.com/a/BnllE

 I'm seeing exactly the same problems in 3 different computers!

 It is also, not systemd, I booted using Upstart, same results.

 Looks like that 16.10 is much worse than 16.04, I've just updated my
Macbook Pro from 16.04, system is so slow that it is unusable, can't browse
google.ca, for example... Feels like a 586.

 I'll try to boot a Linux kernel from Trusty (3.XX), on Xenial, to see if
it better behaves.

 Any clue? Something is terrible wrong here...    :-/

Cheers!
Thiago