Is this possible?

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Mon Oct 3 18:51:44 UTC 2016

I don't recall the MB in that machine off the top of my head, and I'm at
work right now, but I'll dig it up and email you directly if you like. I do
know mine is 64GB RAM, expandable to 128GB and UEFI.  I have a mix of HDD
and SSD drives in that server as well.

I don't have all the specs,but that's a start.  I'll email you the rest
once I get home this afternoon.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> Monday, October 3, 2016, 8:02:22 AM, Mark wrote:
>
> > Actually, the FX9590 8-core series is well faster than any Intel
> > chipset and I've run Fedora 23/24 on it for quite a while now
> > without a single issue. (Granted it isn't Ubuntu, but it /is/
> > Linux.)
>
> What MB are you using? 32Gb mem? Chip set? Large disk/UEFI? These last
> 3 seem to be the source of many current problems.
>
> > FWIW, I've not bothered with Intel chips for several years now and
> > never had a single issue with them running any version of linux that
> > I use regularly. Mostly RHEL/Fedora and Gentoo/Arch.
>
> I've seen a couple of Arch sites that have been quite good and
> informative. I'm not a computer guy, though, so a bit hesitant to go
> that route...
>
> > While I don't completely disagree with Liam's Intel comment, I find
> > AMD's performance better than stock Intel setups more often than
> > not.
>
> I've been using AMD for several years with little/no problems. Is my
> parallel processing approach likely to be helpful, given how I use the
> box? I'd appreciate your opinion...
>
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> >> My hope is to do things in parallel. I work with a fair amount of
> >> data, and a large data run may take 12 hours. Sometimes I can split
> >> that and run it as multiple processes. While that is running, I may
> >> have multiple browsers, each with perhaps 50 or more tabs open. This
> >> load makes my current box unusably slow, swap is maxed out, and
> >> something very often crashes - I may lose several days of work. And
> >> there's email, editing of docs, making diagrams, etc, etc. Perhaps
> >> Intel can do one 12 hour job in 4 hours, but I still have lots going
> >> on during that 4 hours.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>  rikona
> >>

> >> --

>  rikona

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |