New box, memory problem

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sat Oct 1 21:11:14 UTC 2016

>Hmmmm... if not stable, then not a good way to tell if those slots
>are actually working properly on the MB

You never know until you try what will work, but best to go by the manual.

> mem is 1600 - need to go down from there?

No, I meant the highest two speeds that the board supports. 1600 is perfect.

> AMD FX6350

I have an FX4300 running KVM on Ubuntu Server. It doesn't support higher
than 1600.

 > Might a bent pin cause this, when it seems to run quite well with one mem
pair?

Messing with the cpu is last resort. In many boards, you can use either
slots 1&3 or 2&4 with one pair of dimms. If the pair work in either sets of
slots, then nothing wrong with the cpu/bus.

Ive seen ram that works on AMD boards, but not on Intel boards. There's a
reason you can google, but I don't remember what it is.

Some brands ram will work better/faster on the same board than other brands.
Have many sets of different brands of modules allows me to test these
things.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the ram compatibility at this point. Do you
use the amd or other Profile type enabled? Some boards have two kids. Try
them all.

The board should work with one pair of 8G, and one pair of 4G, sure. But
then it's supposed to work with four 8G modules. Try like heck to get
matching brand and model.

Hopefully the PSU is new and of sufficient power. And all 4pin and 8pin
power connectors on the motherboard have power cables inserted.