random laptop power outages with Ubuntu 16.04.1

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Wed Nov 30 18:29:36 UTC 2016

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: random laptop power outages with Ubuntu 16.04.1
From: Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com>
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: 2016.11.30.Wed.04:16:03

> On 29 November 2016 at 22:37, Jason Paul Joines <jason at joines.org> wrote:

>>         Periodically, and with increasing frequency, the machine just
>> powers off.  The display goes black, with a small sliver of yellow or
>> orange flickering along the very left edge.  This lasts only a couple of
>> seconds and then the power cuts out completely.
>>         I have reviewed syslog, kern.log, and X.org.log around the time
>> of each power loss but can find nothing in common.
>
> Do the logs just suddenly stop? If so then it is most likely (though
> not absolutely certain) a hardware issue.
> +1 to suggestions that you vacuum it out in case it is overheating for
> that reason. Also open it up and reseat all the connections you can
> find (take them off and put them back again) and remove and replace
> the RAM. Then run the memory test accessible from the grub boot menu
> and leave it running overnight (for example).
>
> Colin

        Yes, unfortunately the logs do just seem to stop.  The last
message in the logs seems to be different every time.

        When it last crashed I was watching the temperature via
xsensors.  Both cores were around 38 °C.  Periodically one would jump up
to 56 °C for just a second, but then drop back down.  That seems to be
too cool to be an overheating issue.

        Although, I left it running Memtest86+ 5.01 last night.  When I
came in this morning, the machine was locked up.  It seems like it did
not find any errors, but also did not complete a pass:

Pass 21%
Test 81%
Test #7 [BLock_move]
Testing:  4096 M - 6144 M    2048 M of 7988 M
Pattern:                    | Time: 0:03:34
Pass: 0        Errors: 0

        It also showed the CPU Temp at 72 °C, much hotter than when it
powered off with the OS running.

        I'll try your suggestions and those of Gilles about vacuuming
and checking connections and such before I decide it's a lost cause.

Jason