fslint menu items still gone...

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Nov 16 01:57:23 UTC 2016

Hello Jim,

Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 11:49:59 AM, Jim wrote:

> On 11/15/2016 01:28 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello NoOp,
>>
>> Monday, November 14, 2016, 6:28:39 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> It is the 'new & improved' apt in 16.04. Use:
>>
>>> $ apt-cache policy fslint
>>> fslint:
>>>   Installed: 2.40-1
>>>   Candidate: 2.44-2
>>>   Version table:
>>>      2.44-2 500
>>>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64
>>> Packages
>>>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe i386
>>> Packages
>>>  *** 2.40-1 100
>>>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>
>> OK - that worked in 12.04. 2.42-2 is installed there; 2.44-2 is in
>> 16.04.
>>
>>> Note from the above that I even installed a non-repository 2.40-1
>>> version to test (menu only - I didn't turn it loose on my system) -
>>> same result. So you may be right regarding gtk issues. I think I
>>> have an old 12.04 VM around somewhere that I'll try if I find it.
>>> However, I think you'll have to do without the menu(s) for now.
>>
>> It is certainly looking like that. Unfortunately, without the menus
>> it is essentially useless except for very trivial tasks that can be
>> done other ways. I used to use this pgm all the time - it is a
>> great tool, and I don't know of another that is nearly as good.
>> :-((
>>

> this maybe totally off base but were there keyboard shortcuts to the
> menu items you used to see? If they function maybe you could salvage
> some use out of the app.

That's a great suggestion. I checked the 12.04 version, which still
has menus, and there are a couple of shortcuts that can add a couple
of functions. There are no shortcuts for the 'select' ones, though,
but Oliver pointed out a way to get to those. Between your suggestion
and his, it gives me most of what I had, and a functional tool again.

Thanks!

--

 rikona