fslint menu items still gone...

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Nov 15 19:28:25 UTC 2016

Hello NoOp,

Monday, November 14, 2016, 6:28:39 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/14/2016 5:33 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello NoOp,
>>
>> Monday, November 14, 2016, 4:32:58 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> I turned on all Unity defaults & installed the 12.04 version & still
>>> no menus:
>>
>> My 12.04 was fully updated not that long ago. It also had a TON of
>> pgms installed. Since this seems to be a gtk issue, it might be that
>> the right gtk stuff was installed somehow. It does have a LOT of gtk
>> stuff!
>>
>>> $ apt policy fslint
>>
>> Hmmm... when I run this I get 'command not found' so couldn't compare
>> with your result, and apt is not on the list of suggested things I
>> might have meant to install. :-) My box was std Ubuntu.
>>

> It is the 'new & improved' apt in 16.04. Use:

> $ apt-cache policy fslint
> fslint:
>   Installed: 2.40-1
>   Candidate: 2.44-2
>   Version table:
>      2.44-2 500
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64
> Packages
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe i386
> Packages
>  *** 2.40-1 100
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

OK - that worked in 12.04. 2.42-2 is installed there; 2.44-2 is in
16.04.

> Note from the above that I even installed a non-repository 2.40-1
> version to test (menu only - I didn't turn it loose on my system) -
> same result. So you may be right regarding gtk issues. I think I
> have an old 12.04 VM around somewhere that I'll try if I find it.
> However, I think you'll have to do without the menu(s) for now.

It is certainly looking like that. Unfortunately, without the menus it
is essentially useless except for very trivial tasks that can be done
other ways. I used to use this pgm all the time - it is a great tool,
and I don't know of another that is nearly as good. :-((

--

 rikona