apt - Was: Can't boot 14.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Nov 8 13:31:02 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 14:03 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> you are actually correct, with the switch from apt-get to apt this is
> indeed possible, sorry for the noise...

Don't worry, nobody of us is used to apt. Some options already provided
by apt-get are less used, too.

I can't remember, that I ever had the -/+ feature in mind, when it would
have been useful.

You even could use "install" to remove a package:

[root at moonstudio ~]# apt install pulseaudio-
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pulseaudio
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 9216 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Or install a package with "purge":
==================================

[root at moonstudio ~]# apt purge gedit+
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gedit-common gir1.2-peas-1.0 libpeas-1.0-0
libpeas-1.0-0-python3loader libpeas-common python3-cairo
python3-gi-cairo Suggested packages:
  gedit-plugins
  gedit gedit-common gir1.2-peas-1.0 libpeas-1.0-0
libpeas-1.0-0-python3loader libpeas-common python3-cairo
python3-gi-cairo 0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded. Need to get 650 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5827 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Regards,
Ralf